Cliff has operated as a freelance consultant since 2004. He does research, authors reports and is a facilitator and trainer. While at Heriot-Watt University he was also involved in contract research.
He has worked on numerous projects:
- With Spatial Foresight GmbH (http://www.spatialforesight.eu/spatial-foresight.html ) to deliver research-based reports for the ESPON Co-ordination Unit on European territorial development and policy.
- With the Royal Town Planning Institute (www.rtpi.org.uk) to deliver the UK National Contact Point for the ESPON 2013 programme.
- As an external expert for the Royal Town Planning Institute on transnational projects within the ESPON 2013 programme.
- For the ESPON 2013 Co-ordination Unit as a peer reviewer on Sounding Boards for research projects.
- On European Union INTERREG projects.
- On other European projects.
- On Commonwealth, international and global projects.
- On UK projects.
The Commonwealth Association of Planners has announced the winners of its Young Planners essay competition. The topics addressed by the winners were how to plan for better care of an aging population, and the nature of place-making.
Urban Transformation and “New Style” Urbanisation in China was the theme of a major conference hosted by the University of Glasgow.
As European countries become more inward-looking, Professor Klaus Kunzmann sees a possible opportunity for planners to rebuild the reputation of their profession.
The impacts of austerity in Greece have dropped out of the headlines, but not gone away.
Three contrasting films prompt important questions about the nature of communities, past and present, rural and urban.
A new report on the impact of Airbnb and similar platforms calls for tighter regulation.
A paper in a leading scientific journal calls for much greater engagement of scientists in urban policy and practice.
A conference at the University of Birmingham on 22 March on "Planning Challenges in the Commonwealth" will be the venue for the UK launch of the book "Leading Change"
- Commonwealth Association of Planners
- University of Birmingham
- South African Local Government Association
- South African Department of Human Settlements
- World Urban Forum
- RTPI West Midlands
- Rapid urbanisation
- Urban poverty
- Climate change
- Lauren Andres
- Prince's Foundaion for Building Communities
- One World Link
- HTA Design
- Arcadis LLP
- Leading Change
- Wood plc
The recent World Urban Forum was an opportunity to show UK engagement with urbanisation as a global issue. It was missed.
Today at the World Urban Forum in Kuala Lumpur I went into three events, which spanned a wide range of themes and places.Each in its own way provoked thoughts.