Cliff has operated as a freelance consultant since 2004. He does research, authors reports and is a facilitator and trainer. While at Heriot-Watt University he was also involved in contract research.
He has worked on numerous projects:
- With Spatial Foresight GmbH (http://www.spatialforesight.eu/spatial-foresight.html ) to deliver research-based reports for the ESPON Co-ordination Unit on European territorial development and policy.
- With the Royal Town Planning Institute (www.rtpi.org.uk) to deliver the UK National Contact Point for the ESPON 2013 programme.
- As an external expert for the Royal Town Planning Institute on transnational projects within the ESPON 2013 programme.
- For the ESPON 2013 Co-ordination Unit as a peer reviewer on Sounding Boards for research projects.
- On European Union INTERREG projects.
- On other European projects.
- On Commonwealth, international and global projects.
- On UK projects.
How can cities in the rapidly urbanising world benefit from Smart City approaches to urban management?
Guest blogger Klaus Kunzmann explores a mueum devoted to the history of urban planning in a Chinese city.
The first issue of a new journal gives insights to new ways of thinking about cities.
The guest blog by Klaus Kunzmann reflecting on the likely impact of Trumps's victory prompted me to respond with some more ideas.
I gave the Cockburn Association annual lecture in Edinburgh on 27 October 2016. I have now written it up and you can read it.
Earlier this week I was honoured to receive the OBE for services to planning, at an investiture at Buckingham Palace.
The Habitat 3 conference in Quito this month is a critical opportunity to shape the practice of planning globally.
Planners on an innovative post-graduate course in Zambia are being trained to understand how informal development operates and how to deliver pro-poor planning.
In 1995 I was invited to speak to a landmark conference in South Africa for the transition of planning after apartheid. I reported on my visit in my monthly magazine column.